Google
 
Web Kodumai da saami!!


Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Enge theduven nalla doctor-ai enge...


Yaaravadhu inga UK GP's kitta treatment eduthirukeengala? Iraivaa...ippodhan I came back from a doctor's appointment, and boy, did it test my patience!!

Most of us would have been to a doctor in India, and from what my experience tells me, they have the facts at their finger tips..even a blood test report takes a max of 1/2 a day. Ada, kurainja patsham oru senior doc-a udane consult panni solduvanga, illaya?

Naan 5th of June aniku poi blood test koduthen getting a referral from my GP, normal testsdhan, for sugar, rubella, adhu idhu-nu. And being an Indian, I expected the results to come in my hands the same day...and imagine my surprise when they told me that the results will be sent in 7 working days!! Theriyamadhan kekkaren, edhavadhu adhula serious-a irundhu, immediate-a treatment tharanumna enna panvom? Just wait to know after 7 days and hit the panic button late?!

Seri ok, procedural hazards-nu adhai categorize pannitu vittuten. The results came in 7 days, and I got an appointment for today to go over the results. I got inside the doc's room, and he is just staring at me blankly (ada iraiva, andha receptionist solla kooda maatala edhuku oru appointment-nu?) and I had to tell him it is for my blood tests. Then came the stumper - "who prescribed these tests? I have never seen you here"!! Aaha, namakku ippo identity crisis veraya? Appuram andha monitor-la utkarndhu ovvoru test-a parthu, he started telling me the results.

At one point, he suddenly got a doubt (doubt?!) as to whether something was right or not. Now, there is no senior doc concept here, it is a clinic, and we are at the mercy of this GP to know what is what, and even if I want to go to the hospital, he has to refer me! Avlodhan, then started my wait to know what it actually means.

Mudhalla thalaivar computer-la search pannar, pannar...pannar...pannar...and he didn't get what he want. Infact he told me what he was searching for, and we had searched for the same thing in Google right after we got the results and found the answer at home a few days ago! Adhai solli kooda parthen, aana andha manushan thannoda NHS search-ladhan parpen-nu kept on searching for it.

After about 15 mins, he decided to resort to his books and went upstairs to get them. Once he got a couple of them, he searched the appendix of the first book for 10 mins, and finally having found it in the index, realized that it is in Part 2 of the book, which he didn't bring downstairs (grrrrrrrrrr). And now, he didn't want to go upstairs again, so he started his computer search again :((

By now, I had read all the posters inside the room and could recite blindfolded where each poster was and what it contains. Finally, he gave up his search, and decided to go by his knowledge (ayya, idhai mudhallaye panna koodadha? vettiya ithanai neram inga irundhene?) he said, "don't worry, it's all normal"!! Ada paavi manusha, idhuka ennai 1 hr wait panna vachu ennoda memory capabilities ellam exercise panna vacheenga??

I have decided to become a GP myself, enakum book appendix parka theriyum, and above all, I know how to effectively do a Google search!! What other qualification do I need?

23 Comments:

Blogger gils said...

me the phirstu

9:17 AM  
Blogger gils said...

//enakum book appendix parka theriyum, and above all, I know how to effectively do a Google search!! //

athaana...aairam kolai paana thaan arai vaithiayan..staaart meejic...ammani..intha comment moderation imasaiaya eppo discontinue panna porel...ennoda typing mathiriye correct spellinga display varutha..samyathula window mathi adichitenonu doubt varuthu

9:18 AM  
Blogger MT said...

uthamam....

may be you should leave a blood sample with the doctor once in a month or two and get the reports...

software testing maadiri...

10:19 AM  
Blogger Sneha Acharya said...

HA HA ... had similar experience here in Singapore also ... Recentaa heavy cold n cough nu GP kitta ponaa .. andha aalu enna marundhu kudukkanumnu oru file aa refer panni ezhudhi kuduthaan. Andha File la Gender and Age vaariya diff. medicines list out panirundhudhu. And when i chked with him whether i can have it as am pregnant right now na .. "if its put in the bottle thts its safe thn u can have" nu oru reply kuduthaan .. I was shocked ... my inner thot was "thn why the hell u hold a degree n sit here" nu :D

9:16 PM  
Blogger manju said...

Ya, the medical system here in UK is pathetic. India is lot better in this sense. Thats why if there is any serious medical problem, its always better to take a week or two off and go to india, get treated and return back, instead of waiting for appointment here.

3:03 AM  
Blogger The Pseudonym said...

Guess these docs get paid by the hour. If the business model is changed to paid by number of patients or paid by number of patients who recover would make them stop behaving like morons.Last week I took my cousin to a doctor. And there were no patients in the clinic and he took 45 mins to even call us in. I had to barge into his room and ask him to see my cousin who was running a temp of 103. He cooly says "Oh sorry I was preparing a presentation for a seminar. They have invited me to be a guest speaker." I rwanted to say "I am sure it is a seminar for people who don't value time and their patients".

9:58 AM  
Blogger APAM NAPAT said...

time to go back to India.

7:28 PM  
Blogger Ramya Ramani said...

100% rite..namma oorla terukku oru doctor veedu illenaa oru medical shop..naame avanga kitta poi"Doctor jurama irukku crosin potten,jasadhosham veraya coldarin potten anacin potta seri agumannu teriyalannu" name prescription pesittu varuvom but outside india insurance appointmentnnu ore tala vali..cud empathise u...:(

4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kodumai Usha,

me coming after a long time.. how r u..

anyway, on a serious note, chennai is not the same old chennai u that u were used too... inge ippo ellame arai kurai velai thaan nadakkuthu....

I really appreciate the doctor who took ample amount of time in verifying everything is normal...

vaazhga valamuduam...

~ lord labakkudoss

10:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Usha,

I had a similar experience in US.I had to go to the doctor for an allergic reaction.The doctor over there made me wait for 2 hours just to prescribe a benadryl for me.The two hours of wait seemed like eternity to me.

Antha Doctor Kitta poyi Oru neelamana bill vanthathu than Micham..

Antha Masam Budget la oru mega thundu :-(

8:51 PM  
Blogger ambi said...

//And now, he didn't want to go upstairs again, so he started his computer search again //

ROTFL :)

inga Hero vijay kooda Dr.vijay thaan.
Dr.usha vaazhga,

intha word verificationa eduthu tholanjcha enna? grrr.

12:34 AM  
Blogger vishy said...

Ippadi oru doctor .. avar sonnadha neenga vera nambaringa.. pesama idhukku India poi test pannitu varalam.

3:06 PM  
Blogger KC! said...

gils, he he, word verification eduthudaren okva, aana nalaiku spam vandha mothamum unga site-ku varum ;)

mt, once a month-a? Blood donation kooda once in 6mths dhane kodupanga...are you trying to kill me by any chance? :D

sneha, angayuma?? Appo nijammave indian docs dhan ellam therinjavangala??

manju, are you by anychance from some royal family? Appadi irundha, pls donate some money to this ezhai, so that I can go everytime to India :D

the pseudonym, jeez!! did that really happen?

rajesh, seringa thalaiva, as you say!

ramya, these people are more oriented towards procedure than towards the seriousness of the problem..adhan problem

labaks, hey!! welcome back!! enga irukeenga?

aruna, he he, benadryl-kagava avalo dhooram poneenga, naangalam chummave kudippome adhai :))

ambi, unaku appovavadu letters padika varudhanu test pannitruken ..he he

vishy, hey how are you? neeyum royal familya?

3:23 PM  
Blogger MT said...

aamanga...
nalla coincidence... my brother too told me that he read it in Kumudham... :)

someone already has your ideas...!

9:15 PM  
Blogger Sneha Acharya said...

"sneha, angayuma?? Appo nijammave indian docs dhan ellam therinjavangala??"

HA HA sorgame enraluummm adhu nambooru pola varuma :D :D :D

6:04 PM  
Blogger Lavanya said...

omg, you're amazing! Unga style of writing chancey-illa. Idhu dhan enoda first time inga.
:D

11:15 PM  
Blogger Idling in Top Gear said...

Haha - American doctors are even worse cause they are always worried about getting sued, should they even give slightly inaccurate information. They always play it safe. Once I was told that the doc will email me the answer to a very simple question I had on something during a visit!

From what I understand, the NHS is full of desi docs anyways, perhaps oru india-la padicha doctor-a paarthu poyirukanom. :)

12:03 AM  
Blogger kaushik said...

ha ha!! nice blog!! spent all afternoon yesterday reading it...

inge (US-la) also same....doctors ku onnum teriyaadu. They are more keen on typing everything that we say into their database....ennaku 2 hours, 2 x-ray ku appram...i dont know whats wrong-nu solli, pain killer kuduthu vittuta!!

keep writing..

Cheers!
Kaushik

10:13 AM  
Blogger Prasad said...

adade!! yenga parthalum poli docs :P :DDDDD

irrundhalum paratanum inthe docaa 1 Hr wait pannavachutu all normal nu sonnare :DDD

3:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Though this link is in my favourite, I am visiting your blog after 3 months and I am happy to see so many updates.
This is really a good topic to discuss.

The difference between the treatment in UK and India is

UK - Pay the fee in advance (NI), does not mater whether you are sick or not.
India - Pay after the treatment so when they get a patient they try to make money as much as possible.

I would like to tell this incident which I always tell while discussing about this topic 

In late 2002 I had a mild pain on by back. As one of my friends had severe back pain and had to undergo a surgery, I had decided that it is a sev 1 issue and I need to consult the best doctor in the city.

So I went to MIOT, I hope people in chennai must know this hospital.

One junior doctor tested and said that this is some kind of muscle contraction, you will be alright, if you want we can take a X-ray and confirm.
Then I was waiting for the hero(?) Dr.Mohandas, Senior Dr and owner of the hospital.
The first question he asked me was where are you working ( note - this point of time he did not know, why I was there). Naanum perumaia xyz company-nu
sonnaen. then he looked at me and checked few basic things and asked me to take CT, MRI, ULTRA sound scan, X-ray, some expensive blood tests. ( I guess, He bought all these expensive machine and looking for some one to use it )

Hmm..ennapanrathu. sollotarula eduthu thaana aahanum. I did all that and all the results were negative. I paid nearly 30K for this. Then he said let us try with some antibiotic by that time I have decided no I am not going to try with something which he is not sure about.
I spent that money with in 3 hrs.

Later I had consulted another doctor in vijaya hospital and studied my life style and
found that my body is not at all exposed to sun light. so he asked me take sunbath ( chennai la morningla mottai madila poi sunbath edutha mudal aal naana thaaan irupaen nu ninaikiraen )

then I am alright. I paid 100Rs fee for this.

So the moral of the incident is - you must me lucky to get a good doctor, does not matter it is UK or India.

etho 2 lines type pannalamnu start panninaen ippo it became one page.
Sorry for filling you blog.

- Ram

10:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey super aa ezluthurenga... u really have exceptional talent to make ppl laugh... though blog and ennaku romba thooram somehow i happened to visit ur blog.... it really made me laugh & got a bit addicted went through almost most of ur topics in a day... job well done keep it coming

2:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sry i forgot to leave my orkut url... if possible please leave a scrap i wud be happy to a friend who has a good humor sense... though i dont make strangers as friends i wud like to make an exception with u

2:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The most silliest blog I have ever come across.Please use either English or Tamizh not both,Don't dilute languages.

11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home