Google
 
Web Kodumai da saami!!


Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Rukmini vandi varudhu...


Iniku at work, people were discussing about clearing the driving test in London...and about how certain areas have higher pass rates. As usual, I started twirling my tortoise to the time when I tried for my license..

Appo naan college 2nd year, and I had gotten the license for my scooty some 6-8 mths ago. Naangadhan irukardhai vittutu parakkardhuku aasai padara jenmanga illaya, so I was aspiring for a license for my bro's bike as well as my dad's car - edhuku adhellam mattum azhaga damage aagama irukanum? - and my dad was giving me driving lessons.

I kind of learnt riding the bike easily, aana indha car iruke car, ennai padadha paadu paduthi eduthudhu. Street end compound wall-lerndhu ennoda veetu gate varaikum ellathaiyum car-ai taste parka vachittu, I learnt well enough (pinna appa school headmaster range-ku violence-la irangina?) to drive myself to the Marina and have advanced(?!) technical training. I had a problem though, the car jerked to a stop at times when I tried changing the gears - the car wasn't good enough for my speed ;)

En appa taught me driving, yes, but he did not teach me the hand signals people use while driving. The D-day arrived, and I was promptly present at the Ashok Nagar test center.

First was the bike test, naama girl ache, 8 ellam poda sollamattanga-nu dil-a poi nindhen. Munnadi irukara aalai 8 poda vachanga, and when my turn came, he looked at me and just when I was waiting for him to spell some easy test, he asked me do an 8 around two small circles! :( I wasn't really confident, but I did manage to do it and pass the test (vazhga bike, valarga chennai driving mode - for training me for all this!).

Next came the real test - I was waiting in the car ready to drive when the officer said go - clutch release panni accelerator press panradhula enna periya matter?-nra dhairiyam enaku...andha manushan pakkathula vandhar, seri vandiya start pannitu stop it after 2 feet-nar. I did, and 2 ft-la niruthitten (1st gear mela podave illa :D)

Then this guy came to the window, and asked me "right-la thirumbanumna enna panveenga?"..I happily switched on the indicators and told him "front-layum back-layum eriyudhu parunga"..oru kevalamana jandhuva parkara madhiri he looked at me and asked, "if the indicator isn't working?"

Naamadhan sonna udane takku-nu purinjikkara bulb ache, I insisted that the indicators are working. 'Idhoda ellam maradikka vendiyiruke'-nra thought blatant-a theriyara expression-da, "I meant WHAT IF?"-nar. Naan udane cycle ottara nyabagathula put my hands out of the right side window and looked at him with a triumphant expression.

Then came the stumper, "left-la thirumbanumna eppadi signal panveenga?" I thought real hard and stretched my hand to the passenger side window and said "Ippadidhan!" :D Appo enaku puriyala en avar face marudhunu...he was like "Hello, ippadi kai kattina eppadi ottuveenga?"-nu sema kaduppayittar. Ulla en appa, "illa Usha, ippadidhan signal kattanum"-nu solli koduka arambichar - ada appave, idhellam killi killi car otta solli koduthiye, appo solla koodadha??

"Seri, nera poi left-la cut panni reverse eduthu thirumbi vaanga" appadinar. I started the car, took a left and when I changed the gear to take a reverse, the car jerked to a stop. Andha mahaan-uku BP eridum-nu therinja udane, I started the car real quick, took a reverse and when I tried going forward, edhira innoru jandhu vandhu I got tensed - and ofcourse, the car jerked to a stop again :(

I didn't even want to look at that guy - he was almost looking like Durvasar, showing anger as if I was his disciple who he had placed a lot of hopes on and I had totally shattered his dreams - namma manam poradhai edhuku naamale kannala parkanum? Now, don't ask me if I did get the license :D

9 Comments:

Blogger Vg said...

Good post da.. I laughed continuously for 2 minutes while reading the line "left-la thirumbanumna eppadi signal panveenga?" I thought real hard and stretched my hand to the passenger side window and said "Ippadidhan!" :D"

Remba bright a irrukeenga..

10:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the way, Did you try to get licence in Uk. I got my licence in India by driving 300 meters. Inga 40 mins pakathilayae ukanthu oorellam suthi kadisila etha vathu oru sinna thapu kandupudichu fail panidaranga. If you go fast they would say you are a dangerous driver. If you go little slow they would say you are blocking the trafic. hmm India-la illegal-a vangira panathai inga legal-a vangidranga. 45£ per test. I know one girl from Paki tried 16 times and gave up. But I have to say onething after getting the passport. You relay feal that driving in UK is safer than India. Becuase here beofre issuing the licence they are really making sure that you know all basics of driving.
- Ram

3:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oru small mistake "getting the passport" illa "getting the licence" :-)
- Ram

4:29 AM  
Blogger KC! said...

Vg - :D

Ram - illa, I haven't tried that yet, coz people tell me that you should be trying like Willaim wallace with the spider ;)

3:08 AM  
Blogger MT said...

kalakreenga...

nallavella, in India the gear shift is to the steering wheel.. if it was on the floor, could not even have said "idho ippadithan..."

ennamo ponga.. UK'la license edukum bodhavadhu.. vandi edukaradhu munnadi blinkers ellam eriyudhanu paarthutu erunga.. vandikulla


PS: your blog was visible from Sunday Night

10:21 AM  
Blogger ambi said...

//stretched my hand to the passenger side window and said "Ippadidhan!//

ROTFL-O-ROTFL ipdi oru arivaali pathil unakku mattum thaan varum.

(he hee, naanum adhe ans thaan nenachen :D)

3:16 AM  
Blogger cm chap said...

Ha Ha.. I wont ask it bcoz I knw u didnt get it.... ha ha

8:37 PM  
Blogger cm chap said...

BTW, there is some real issue n ur other blog.. can u fix it? I coudnt read it at all. It throws loadg error and stuff.

I'm keep on thnkg abt a tech blog for long time nw.. I guess will do it soon...

8:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

akkachi ithe problemla la tan naan inum licence edukala ithula LLLR vera tolachuputten enakku intha lagula intnl licence tevai!ennagomo ethagumo

11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home